Recently, PrestaShop 8, one of the greatest eCommerce platforms and CMS, introduced a new version with numerous enhancements. Since a few weeks ago, in fact, v8.0.2, which includes a security patch that addresses roughly twenty issues, has been available.
If you’re not sure whether it’s worth updating PrestaShop, we’ll go over what’s new in this version and provide a comparison between PrestaShop 1.7 and 8. Furthermore, in case you are unsure about selecting an eCommerce platform, we have a blog post that contrasts WooCommerce and PrestaShop, two of the most well-liked platforms globally.
Prior to exploring the distinctions and contrasts between PrestaShop 1.7 and PrestaShop 8, it’s critical to comprehend the reasons behind selecting the appropriate platform for your web store. Selecting the ideal eCommerce platform is essential to your online business’s success. Selecting the incorrect platform could result in issues with scalability, customization, security, and other crucial areas.
Speed is one of the key factors in the user experience in an online shop. Customers expect smooth and fast navigation, and any delay can result in lost sales. Therefore, it is important to compare the differences in speed between PrestaShop 1.7 and 8.
- Architecture and performance: PrestaShop 8 features significant architectural and performance improvements compared to PrestaShop 1.7. The new version uses an architecture based on Symfony 5, which means that it benefits from all the performance and security improvements of the new version of the framework. Page load performance and database optimization have also been improved, allowing faster load times for the end user
- Cache engine: PrestaShop 8 uses a new cache engine that provides increased speed compared to PrestaShop 1.7. This new caching engine is designed to reduce page load time and increase the speed of your online shop.
- Improvements of the database structure: PrestaShop 8 features an improved database structure that reduces SQL query response time and improves the overall performance of the online shop. In addition, the database structure has been optimized to improve page load speed and reduce
- Faster modules: Most of the modules in PrestaShop 8 are optimized to ensure maximum speed and better performance. These modules are designed to reduce page load time and provide a faster and smoother shopping experience for your customers.
- Responsive themes: These themes are optimized for faster loading and a more satisfying shopping experience on mobile devices, which improves the overall speed of the online shop.
Looking at what we have discussed, PrestaShop 8 has significant improvements in speed and performance compared to PrestaShop 1.7. The new architecture, caching engine, database structure, faster modules and responsive themes are designed to provide a smoother and more satisfying shopping experience for your customers, which can improve the conversion rate and success of your online business.
As you may already know, security is one of the main concerns that any user has, whether it is the shop owner or the buyer. Now, we will explain what version 8 brings in comparison to 1.7 in terms of security, to ensure that your online shop is protected against online threats.
- Improved authentication system: PrestaShop 8, compared to version 1.7, has an improved authentication system that protects your online shop against unauthorized login attempts. This enhanced authentication system uses stronger encryption algorithms to protect your data and your customers’ data
- Regular security updates: PrestaShop version 8 has regular security updates that protect your online shop against known vulnerabilities and security risks. These updates also include security patches to fix any known security issues.
- Improved password management: PrestaShop 8 has improved password management, which include stricter password policies and options to require periodic password changes. This helps protect the online shop against security risks related to weak or stolen passwords.
- Protection against SQL injection attacks: PrestaShop 8 includes enhanced protection against SQL injection attacks, which are one of the most common methods used by hackers to compromise the security of online shops. In contrast, PrestaShop version 1.7 does not come with this enhanced protection, which helps prevent the exploitation of vulnerabilities in the online shop and protects your data and your customers’ data.
- PCI security standards compliance: PrestaShop 8 complies with PCI security standards, which are the security requirements that all online shops that process credit card payments must meet. This means that PrestaShop 1.7 does not provide an equally secure environment for customers, and protect the online shop against possible penalties, when compared to its version 8.
In other words, PrestaShop 8 provides much improved security compared to version 1.7. From improvements in the authentication system, regular security updates, improved password management, protection against SQL injection attacks and compliance with PCI security standards, etc., all to protect the online shop and your customers’ data against possible security risks.
Usability is a key factor for the success of an online shop, as a positive user experience can make the difference between a sale and a lost customer. PrestaShop has been known for being easy to use and customisable, which has led many to choose it as their eCommerce solution. However, what are the usability differences between versions 1.7 and 8?
- Revamped user interface: Prestashop version 8 has a completely revamped user interface that offers a more intuitive and user-friendly user experience. Navigation is simpler and search and filtering options have been improved.
- Improved visual editor: Prestashop 8 comes with an improved visual editor that makes it easier to create content and manage products in your online shop. You can now create customised product pages more easily and quickly.
- Improvements in the administration panel: Prestashop 8 contains an improved administration panel compared to version 1.7, providing a clearer overview of your online shop. New functionalities have also been added to improve the management of orders, customers and catalogs.
- Simplified checkout process: Version 8 includes a simplified checkout process, making it easier for your customers to complete a purchase in your shop. New payment options, such as Apple Pay and Google Pay, have been added to offer more options to your customers.
- Improved customisation: Prestashop 8 has improved customisation that allows you to customise your shop more faster and easier. Now, you can create more easily custom layouts of home pages and product pages.
Integrations with payment and shipping systems
The integration of payment and shipping systems in an online shop is essential for customers to be able to make their purchases easily and securely. In the case of PrestaShop, this platform has evolved to improve the user experience and integration options with different payment and shipping systems. We will now explain the differences between PrestaShop 1.7 and 8 so that you can learn more about the improvements in this latest version.
- Third-party payment and shipping support: In PrestaShop 1.7 you have to install third-party payment and shipping modules in order to offer additional payment and shipping options. In contrast, PrestaShop 8 has a wide variety of integrated payment and shipping options.
- Payment and shipping customisation: In PrestaShop 8 you can customise the way payment and shipping options are displayed in the online shop. For example, you can display shipping prices and delivery times on the product page. In contrast, PrestaShop 1.7 has limitations in terms of customizing these options.
- Integration with popular payment and shipping systems: PrestaShop version 8 has native integrations with popular payment and shipping systems such as PayPal, Stripe, Amazon Pay, DHL, FedEx, UPS and more. In contrast, PrestaShop 1.7 may require the installation of additional modules to integrate these systems.
- Fraud control: PrestaShop 8 has built-in tools for payment fraud control, which helps prevent fraudulent transactions. PrestaShop 1.7 also has some fraud control options, but they are not as robust as those in version 8.
PrestaShop 8 now offers a more integrated and customisable experience in terms of payment and shipping options compared to its previous version. In addition, it has a wide variety of native integrations with popular payment and shipping systems, simplifying the integration process for online merchants.
The user interface is a fundamental part of any e-commerce platform, as it is the first impression customers have when accessing an online shop. In the case of PrestaShop, the user interface has evolved significantly in version 8, offering a much more intuitive and user-friendly user experience than in the previous version.
Among the main differences of the PrestaShop 8 user interface compared to 1.7, we find a greater simplicity in design and navigation, with a side navigation bar that facilitates access to the different sections of the site, a cleaner control panel and greater customisation of the home page. In addition, it has a more mobile-friendly user interface, which significantly improves the shopping experience for customers on mobile devices. Here we explain it point by point.
- Modern and attractive design: The new version offers a modern and attractive design, with a clean and easy-to-use user The colours, fonts and layout of the elements are more elegant and aesthetic, making the user experience more pleasant compared to version 1.7.
- More intuitive user interface: PrestaShop 8 has a more intuitive user interface than PrestaShop 1.7. The menus and options are organized in a clearer and more logical way, making it easier to navigate and use the platform.
- More advanced search functions: Version 8 includes more advanced search functions than PrestaShop 1.7. You can now search for products, customers and orders more accurately and quickly, which helps you save time and improve efficiency in managing your online shop.
- Responsive user interface: PrestaShop 8 has a responsive user interface, that means it automatically adapts to the screen size and resolution of your devices. Now you can access your online shop from any mobile device or tablet without having to worry about the quality of the user interface.
- More customisable user interface: PrestaShop 8 offers a more customisable user interface compared to PrestaShop 1.7. You can customise the look and feel of your shop to fit your brand and your customers’ needs. Also, you can add additional modules and features to enhance the functionality of the online shop.
Scalability is a very important factor to consider when choosing an e-commerce platform such as PrestaShop. In simple terms, scalability refers to the ability of a platform to handle growth in sales volume, traffic and users without compromising its performance or stability.
This feature allows online businesses to grow and expand without having to constantly switch platforms. Here are the differences between PrestaShop 1.7 and PrestaShop 8 in terms of scalability:
- Modular architecture: The new version has a more modular architecture than version 1.7, in other words, you can add and remove functionalities more easily without affecting the performance of the website
- Performance improvements: PrestaShop 8 is designed to be faster and more efficient than version 1.7, resulting in better performance and faster website load times.
- Support for more users and products: Version 8 is capable of handling a greater number of users and products than version 1.7, which that allows online businesses to grow and expand without worrying about reaching a limit on the platform’s capacity.
PrestaShop version 8 is a highly scalable eCommerce platform, offering significant improvements in performance and capacity compared to version 1.7. Therefore, if you are looking for an eCommerce platform that can handle sustained and constant growth, PrestaShop 8 is the right choice thanks to its high scalability, customisation and integration with other systems.
Now that you have seen the features of PrestaShop 1.7 and PrestaShop 8, as well as the differences between the two, you can make an informed decision on whether to upgrade your platform to the new version or not. If you are looking for a reliable and easy-to-use eCommerce platform, PrestaShop 1.7 is an excellent choice. However, if you are looking for a more modern eCommerce platform with advanced features, PrestaShop 8 is the best choice. You have to keep in mind that the choice depends on your specific needs and goals of your online business.